Can CPRI help my child?

The Child and Parent Resource Institute (CPRI) is directly operated by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services.

CPRI provides trauma-informed and highly specialized services for children and youth of Ontario (age 0-18 years) who experience complex and long-standing combinations of mental health and developmental challenges where:

  • These difficulties significantly impact functioning in multiple areas such as home, school and community and;
  • Appropriate community interventions have not produced the desired response.

How do I get help for my child?

Talk to your family doctor and local children’s mental health services first. You may be able to get the help you need through them. Click here for information on finding a family doctor. Before a referral to CPRI is considered, generally, local services available to support a child in their home community are accessed. This may include a local paediatrician, community psychiatry, or a child & youth mental health/developmental agency and/or worker.

Links to Referral Forms 

Outpatient Referral Form 

* Referrals for Inpatient services should be submitted through your county’s Single Point of Access Agency. Pratten 1 accepts Outpatient referrals. Visit the Professionals/Referral page for an Inpatient Referral Form.

We recommend that you include past assessments and education information, to help assess appropriate services.

A package must include Part A, B and C to be considered complete. Part B must be completed and signed by a Doctor.

Send your completed intake package by:


Fax:                519-858-2115

Mail:               CPRI, Intake Department

 600 Sanatorium Rd, London, ON N6H3W7

Download the CPRI General Information Brochure

For additional questions or comments about referrals to CPRI please contact or (519) 858-2774 ext. 2024. 

Will you make my child get treatment?

All of our services are voluntary. This means we have to get informed consent.

The Health Care Consent Act (HCCA) says everyone is capable to consent to or refuse a treatment or ask for an alternative, regardless of age, disability, or psychiatric diagnosis. We believe this includes children.

Our clinicians will explain to you and your child:

  • Why the service is being proposed
  • The nature of the service
  • Who will be providing the service
  • What are the expected benefits
  • What are the alternatives to having the service
  • What are the risks and side effects
  • What are the likely consequences of not having the service
  • What are the limits of confidentiality

Our clinicians have lots of experience talking to children and families about our programs.

How can I make a complaint? 

CPRI staff members want children/youth and families to know that they can give feedback or suggestions. Any individual also has the right to make a complaint against CPRI. Making a complaint will not affect the services you or your child/youth receives. To learn about making a complaint, click here.

[ {"term":"Commensurate","description":"To be Equal"},{"term":"emotional disorder","description":"There are several different emotional disorders, and people can have more than one. Someone with an anxiety disorder has a lot more than the usual amount of fears and nervousness. Someone with a depressive disorder often feels sad, irritable, hopeless, or moody. A person with an obsessive-compulsive disorder or trauma-related disorder may have thoughts or reactions that impact their thinking, feeling, and behaviour, causing major problems in their day-to-day life."},{"term":"evidence based practice","description":"Evidence based practice means applying the best available research results when making decisions."},{"term":"informed consent","description":"Informed consent means our workers will explain to you and your child:\r\n\r\nWhy the service is being proposed; \r\nThe nature of the service; \r\nWho will be providing the service; \r\nWhat are the expected benefits; \r\nWhat are the alternatives to having the service; \r\nWhat are the risks and side effects; \r\nWhat are the likely consequences of not having the service; \r\nWhat are the limits of confidentiality; \r\nbefore asking you to agree to the service."},{"term":"intellectual disability","description":"Someone with an intellectual disability has limitations in thinking and problem-solving skills (also called intellectual functioning) and day-to-day life and social skills (also called adaptive functioning). The problems begin in childhood and last for the person’s whole life. Each person with an intellectual disability is different and might need a different kind of support."},{"term":"Psychoeducation","description":"Information and teaching to empower a person with a mental health condition to cope with the condition effectively"},{"term":"Reactive attachment disorder ","description":"Reactive attachment disorder (RAD) is a very specific diagnosis that can only be made by a qualified psychiatrist, psychologist, or physician. RAD refers to a very limited set of circumstances in which children are thought to not have the opportunity to develop any specific attachment to a caregiver. Onset of the problems must begin before age five and cannot be due to another mental health or developmental problem, and the child must have reached a developmental age of at least 9 months old. Children with RAD cannot or do not seek or respond to any comfort, even when very distressed or hurt. Extremely insufficient care, such as neglect or repeated changes of primary caregivers, without meaningful contact with adults, is thought to “cause” the disorder."},{"term":"resilience","description":"An individual\\'s ability to adapt to stress and adversity"},{"term":"Trauma informed","description":"Trauma-informed care recognizes trauma symptoms in clients and the role that trauma has played in their lives."} ]